Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

>>> You need some kind of persistent state *somewhere*, to support
>>> chmod, chown, mv, rm, etc.  Or are you proposing to break those?
>> My devfs doesn't do that complicate thing.
> Wow, that sucks.  Not being able to change permissions (and less
> importantly, mv or rm the device files) would definitely be a
> problem.

That was my own reaction too, but, y'know what?  What Uebayashi-san
suggests is just fine as a research experiment, and, if it succeeds
there, on the road to production use it can grow such things.  NetBSD
is still a decent framework for minor OS research experiments like
that, and I think that's as it should be.

Of course, anyone who proposes to put it into NetBSD's main released
tree without support for such things should be shouted down.
Vociferously.  And thoroughly.  Lack of chmod/chown/etc in /dev would
be a total showstopper (for me, at the very least) for production use.

\ / Ribbon Campaign