Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 01:56:28AM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Is it just me who find this whole ide ironic?
>
> Have everyone forgotten how to set up their own kernel? Is everyone now
> booting GENERIC? (Or just making a copy of GENERIC, with a few patches
> without understanding what they are editing?)

I often run GENERIC kernels.  In fact, the only reason I'm not running it on
the machine I'm on now is because for some reason one of the devices I wanted
was commented out (spdmem).  Given what I need the machine to do, GENERIC works
fine, and I'd rather spend my time on more useful things (like spouting random
bs on mailing lists :) )

> For basically no gain in functionality, a lot of new mess to deal with
> when managing the system, and a lot of work...

I definitely agree that this is important criteria to keep in mind.  It's
easy to get distracted by things that look cool, even if they don't work.
I know I've gone down that path many times.

eric