Re: removing aiboost(4) as redundant

On 6 March 2010 08:57, Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:

>>> Fine with me. No objection from my side.
>>
>> Ditto. Though I still think it should use kmem_alloc(9)... The man-page is
>> nice too, but I wonder should this be removed:
>>
>>    "[...]  Whereas on OpenBSD the native drivers have to be specifically
>>    disabled should their presence be judged unnecessary, on the lm(4) and
>>    it(4) are not probed provided that acpi(4) is configured and the system
>>    potentially supports the hardware monitoring chip through ACPI."
>
> Yes I think it should be removed.
>
> However, if we leave it, then we need to replace the "on .Dx the" with the
> proper OS name (Linux?)!
>
> :)

Dx actually stands for DragonFly, although as noted, the note would
apply equally well, if not better, to Linux.  Perhaps it would be time
to add support for .Dx to NetBSD's mdoc? :-)

In any case, I've reworded the affected paragraph in the manual page,
coming from the notion that ACPI resource management is external as
far as the individual acpi drivers are concerned, thus the users may
have to go elsewhere into acpi(4) to find out whether or not their
specific system would be automatically ignoring the probing procedure
of some native hardware monitoring drivers.

C.