Re: wbsio(4): Winbond Super I/O driver for lm(4) over wbsio(4) attachment

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, Constantine Aleksandrovich Murenin wrote:

Hi,

The wbsio(4) driver allows one to attach lm(4) on non-standard IO ports,
or, alternatively, discover the said non-standard ports, so that an ap-
propriate lm0 configuration line could be devised for the configuration
file of the kernel.

Best regards,
Constantine.

Kewl...

Question:

1. Does it make sense to extend this to any other functions of the
   super-IO chip?  Are any others likely to ever show up on non-
   standard ISA ports?

Suggestion:
2. In the man page, please change the statement

        +driver provides support for the Winbond LPC Super I/O ICs.

        +driver provides configuration support for the Winbond LPC
        +Super I/O ICs.

Question:
3. As written, wbsio_print() assumes that the ir_size of the lm(4)'s
   isa_attach_args is the same as the size of the wbsio(4)'s ir_size.
   Is this really correct?  Or should we explicitly set the ir_size
   member before calling config_found()?

Curiosity:
I will confess that I'm writing this section without datasheets in
front of me...  But I notice that there are some differences in the
lists of devices between wbsio(4) and lm(4).  A few IDs are the same,
but most are different.

I also notice that wbsio(4) uses the device-ID, while lm(4) uses the
chip-ID.

Question:
4. So, would it make sense to be consistent and use the same xxx-ID in
   both drivers?  (In which case, wbsio(4) could simply include
  nslm7xvar.h rather than having its own ID definitions.)

Question:
5. And, does the list of devices in wbsio(4) deliberately exclude the
   rest of the lm(4) devices?  Or could some/all of the remaining
   chips from lm(4) be added to wbsio(4)?

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |