Re: kthread with kpause or callout

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 11:11:04AM +0100, Frank Wille wrote:
> - Running a kthread and calling kpause() between the polls.
> - Using a callout which reschedules itself after the poll.

The thread is quite a bit more heavyweight, but you have full freedom
to do what you want. The callout is pretty lightweight but you are
still subject of "interrupt context" rules.

I ran into a similar case recently where I didn't want full thread context
but needed it sometimes - I ended up using a a rescheduled callout plus
sometimes adding a job to the sysmon workqueue (sysmon_task_queue_sched(),
this task was in envsys scope, so it was an easy way out).

Martin