Re: need help with kern/42758 - correctly initialize W83627HF hwmon

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010, Michael Stapelberg wrote:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help so far.

Excerpts from Paul Goyette's message of So Feb 07 22:06:23 +0100 2010:
     a) all W83627HF use temp sensors of type 3904, or
     b) the W83627HF on "this board" uses 3904.
Any chance you can do some research in the datasheet to see if there is
any mention of this?
The datasheet itself does not mention any preference in regard to the type.

In the wiki on lm-sensors.org I could find only one configuration which
actually uses the temperature sensors of the W83627HF. This configuration
also configures it to use the 3904 mode.

Yes, I went through the datasheet, too, and there seems to be no way to tell what type of sensor is actually used.

I think it would be OK to add a 'flags' to the config syntax, so you would say

        lm* at iic? addr 0xXX flags 1

to enable 2N3904 bipolar temp sensors. The default would be to keep current behavior which expects a normal thermistor.

Now, I just need to figure out where the flags value gets passed into the driver!

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |