Re: regression (crash) in sysmon/acpiacad

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 02:24:37PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> The point is that they have specific meaning for the hardware and as I
> said, are generally not changeable. For example, on my laptop, the power
> LED turns orange when warning cap is reached and shuts down hard on
> critical.

You can already alter the low and warning capacity, as documented in
envsys.conf(5). I am not arguing that it would be a good idea, quite the
contrary.

If sme_set_limits() is omitted but sme_get_limits() is introduced, the
visible change would merely imply that from

$ envstat -d acpibat0
                  Current  CritMax  WarnMax  WarnMin  CritMin Unit
      warn cap:     2.511                                     Wh ( 5.00%)
       low cap:     0.200                                     Wh ( 0.40%)
        charge:    50.230                                     Wh (100.00%)

we would move to

$ envstat -d acpibat0 | grep cap
                  Current  CritMax  WarnMax  WarnMin  CritMin Unit
        charge:    50.230                    2.511    0.200   Wh  (100.00%)

Similar thing is already done in acpitz(4), sdtemp(4), and ipmi(4). The
argumentation in favor of the percentages goes in similar vein.

As I understand it, these callbacks were introduced specifically for those
sensors that are capable of checking the limits "in hardware". Supposedly
this should be the case here.

- Jukka.