Re: kern/42583: ACPI errors, HP DV6-1334US [was: The imperfect beauty of NetBSD]

,--- You/Joerg (Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:55:43 +0100) ----*

| On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 09:34:58PM -0500, Alex Goncharov wrote:
| > It may help one addressing the problem in NetBSD to see the FreeBSD
| > behavior and an appropriate resolution.
| >
| > I just filed a detailed report:
| >
| >   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=142561
| >
| > with both the data in unmangled form (the size of it being modest) and
| > a certain code patch, which may prove helpful to cover this situation
| > in NetBSD.
|
| Well, with that PR the problem is finally clear.

May I as you what it is?

| I don't see why the patch has any effect. What is happening is that
| one of the methods called during the init of the ACPI EC accesses an
| undefined variable.  Due to that the call ultimately fails and the
| EC is not attached.  I don't know why that changes with the patch in
| FreeBSD land though.

From what you understand now, is the situation fixable in any
practically meaningful way -- in NetBSD or FreeBSD, in the confines of
that small code diff piece that you saw in my report?

Thanks for looking!

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov%comcast.net@localhost --