Re: The imperfect beauty of NetBSD

,--- You/Matthew (Thu, 7 Jan 2010 00:18:05 -0500) ----*
| That you had used man -k trace escaped me; when you listed the
| resulting commands and complained about the section part I assumed you
| only found the libc and kernel interfaces rather than the userland
| tools, which man -k or apropos would also have listed...  Since I'm
| used to the older apropos(1) interface, my eye didn't catch it.
|
| Sorry about that,

No problem -- thank you for trying to help.

| Others noticed the master output volume was 0, does
| "mixerctl -w outputs.master=255" (or a lower sane value) help any?

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-audio.html didn't suggest it,
so I didn't try.

Struggling with audio support is very far from my ordinary interests.

Sorry to tell you, I just removed NetBSD from that free partition on
my laptop and am now trying to install FreeBSD amd64 there (I did
manage to boot the installer!)  The FreeBSD installer shows the same
ACPI errors as NetBSD and OpenSolaris, and it remains to be seen where
it's going to be fixed first.

If in NetBSD, I may reinstall it.

But with NetBSD now seen as not superior in its support for my laptop,
I had to listen to my inner voice, and it just told me, "Go to the
known".

There is a limit for oddness one can voluntarily accept.

Over this past year, I've discovered that (NetBSD) `make' won't take
the `-C' option -- and swallowed it (yeah: "cd DIR; make").  Did
swallow the non-sliced disk quirks (which happens to be very dangerous
when NetBSD is being installed *after* a FreeBSD is on one partition
-- have blown my FreeBSD installations twice) -- that taught me a lot,
though.

But:

   man -S N STRING

to work, and

   man -S N -k STRING

not?...

No offense here, but I think I'll be more comfortable staying with
FreeBSD for now.

Thank you to all who tried to help.

I do receive mail on several NetBSD lists and find your discussions
extremely useful and well-spirited.  I'll probably come back.

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov%comcast.net@localhost --