Re: Exponential failure

ekamperi%gmail.com@localhost wrote:

> I wanted to build a -current kernel in an 5.0.1 machine, in order to
> test a patch.
>
> I tried build.sh kernel, but in the next boot NetBSD was unable to
> mount root. It turned out that I had to build modules as well. This
> could be documented in `tracking netbsd current' section in our guide,

I guess you are talking about
http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/current/index.html
which is not integrated into the NetBSD Guide.

Currently it mentions:
>> If you try to build -current, either from a snapshot or an earlier -current,
>> and it doesn't work, don't panic. Try these steps:
>>
>>    1. Read the src/UPDATING file from the release you're trying to build.
>>    2. Read the current-users archive for hints.

And then you might be able to find info in both of them:

http://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/UPDATING (in 20081122)
http://www.google.com/custom?q=can+not+mount+root&domains=mail-index.NetBSD.org&sitesearch=mail-index.NetBSD.org

Some discussions about location and structures of modules are
still on-going (and being stalled), so official documentation
about it seems pending.
---
Izumi Tsutsui