Re: Reclaiming vnodes

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 01:55:47PM +1000, matthew green wrote:

> please get a bunch more testing done with this before commiting,
> comparing loads that *would* have led to recycle with the old
> scheme.

I agree.  One test I used to use when I was trying to understand how
the vnode cache could cause the buffer cache to flush I/O was to do
several cvs checkouts at once, on different filesystems, with an
artifically constrained maxvnodes value.  You can also write a program
which bumps up its resource limits and holds as many files open at
once as possible to add additional pressure from vnodes that can't
(at least, if I understand correctly) be reclaimed.

Thor