can't unmount USB key

Hi,
today I made the mistake of removing the USB key before unmounting it.
Bad surprise, the mount can't be unmounted from now on, even after replugging
the key. No combination of umount with -R, -f, the mount point or the block
device would work, it would either give "I/O error" or "Invalid argument".
Ktrace shows:
 12790      1 umount   CALL  unmount(0x1fffff892,0)
 12790      1 umount   NAMI  "/zip"
 12790      1 umount   RET   unmount -1 errno 5 Input/output error

This is on netbsd-5. Can something be done to improve this situation ?

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost