Re: Vnode scope implementation

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 02:12:40PM +0000, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Elad Efrat<elad%netbsd.org@localhost>
> > wrote:
> >> Following up on the thread, attached is a diff that introduces the
> >> vnode scope without any actions on it, along with the bsd44/suser
> >> listener.
> >
> > I've received no comments so far on this diff. I'm giving it four more
> > days and then I'll just check it in...
>
> without any users of the code, you mean?  i don't understand the point.

Elad,

Isn't it hard to know that the design of kauth(9) and the placement of
the hooks is correct for anybody's purposes---Apple's, NetBSD's, yours,
mine---when you do not use the API for anything?

I have a feeling that I am not only one who is anxious to see the
kauth(9) pay-off in a compelling security demonstration or two. kauth(9)
hooks into the kernel everywhere.  Those hooks come with costs such as
bugs introduced and builds broken.  Meanwhile, the uses and benefits
of kauth(9) are mainly hypothetical.  When does NetBSD see what it has
gained?

Dave