Re: NFS

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 11:16:32 +0300
Jukka Marin <jmarin%embedtronics.fi@localhost> wrote:

> I have seen these, too.  Usually both messages are logged with the same
> timestamp.

Yes often these "downtimes" are extremely short for me as well.

> > So yesterday I decided to switch to UDP to verify if it's better.
> > However, after a certain number of hours, all processes on the client
> > locked in tstile wchan/state and I had to reboot the client.
> >
> > The problem doesn't seem to be network related, as an ssh
> > connection to the server keeps working when this happens, as well as
> > HTTP/FTP to the server and outside.  I see no network interface
> > diagnostics in dmesg either.  This didn't occur again, but I'll keep
> > using UDP a bit for now and see how it goes.
>
> Sounds like my problem.. it usually occurs on my system once or twice
> a month.

So today, on another NFS client box on which I had returned to UDP,
processes also started locking on the remote NFS mount.  The server was
fine again, but client processes were now locking in nfsrcv state.  The
client had to be rebooted and I switched back to TCP which at least
seems more reliable so far.  So I'm keeping one client box only with
NFS mounted via UDP for now for further testing.
--
Matt