Re: "Marvell Hercules-2" card?

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 03:46:15PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> $DAYJOB is considering getting a card (Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8, in case
> it matters) that is, according to the maker, "based on the Marvell
> Hercules-2 Rev. C0 SATA host controller", as partial replacement for a
> 3ware card that may have problems (the machine has problems but we
> don't yet know whether it's twe0 or something else that's at fault).

These don't do hardware RAID, this is one of the reasons they're so
popular fo OpenSolaris users with ZFS. They're the same mvsata chip
Sun uses in their "thumper" storage servers.

I don't have any, and have no idea if our mvsata driver supports them,
but I would expect it can be convinced to reasonably easily.

The big challenge is finding a PCI-e equivalent, these are PCI-X only
which limits system and motherboard choices.

--
Dan.