Re: "Marvell Hercules-2" card?

>> I had a look through 4.0.1's src/sys/dev ([...]) and didn't see
>> anything that has the Marvell and Hercules names together ([...]).
> I think I have one of these.  I will drop it in a system and see what
> it looks like on the bus.  If I remember correctly, under Linux,
> without proprietary Marvell kernel modules, it will attach as a plain
> SATA controller but won't provide any RAID functionality,

That would be perfect for our use.  The only reason for contemplating a
RAID card is that it appears to be approximately impossible to get 4 or
more internal SATA ports on a card without some kind of RAID support.
A willingness to run JBOD, whether from lack of RAID capability or by
being RAID-capable and just being configured JBOD, is crucial here.

> So it might be possible to make it work with mvsata,

I don't see anything called mvsata in any of the files* files under
src/sys/dev/.  Is it post-4.0.1?

> I've received a lot of recommendations for Areca stuff lately.  I too
> am not much of a 3ware fan.

I'm neither here nor there when it comes to 3ware stuff.  3ware gets
the same consideration in this decision as anyone else at the same
functionality and price points.  My impression is that 3ware's stuff is
overpriced for this use, which really means that it just doesn't play
to their strengths.

\ / Ribbon Campaign