Re: Opencomm: proplib-based syscall

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 08:19:23AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 08:19:22AM +0300, Elad Efrat wrote:
> > It really depends. The easiest case here is mount, as that's an example
> > for a program that really comes down to a syscall. Control its arguments
> > using dictionary internalizing from a file and you can always pass a
> > file with some XML in it instead of arguments.
>
> And, what does this buy you over passing arguments? Nothing besides
> compat headaches and new ways to create compat problems.

While it would be very naive to think using proplibs avoids compat
issues, it does have the effect of keeping them inside the subsystem
they're relevant too.  mount(2) is a good example here;  I don't think
anybody ever managed to write a COMPAT_NETBSD32 version for its original
incarnation, or even the current one.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost