Re: Opencomm: proplib-based syscall

Elad Efrat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For a long time I've been thinking about implementing a proplib-based
> syscall -- I call it "opencomm" -- and only now got around to it.
>
> It's like prop_dictionary_sendrecv_ioctl(), only that:
>    - it doesn't require a file-descriptor/command
>    - it takes a syscall slot

I like the concept.  What exactly does "opencomm" mean or what is it
short for?  Without any background it seems like a really unintuitive
name.

> The changes required to implement it are very small (copy/paste of
> prop_dictionary_sendrecv_ioctl in prop_kern.c, one line change to
> syscalls.master, and (for now) a stub in kern_xxx.c).
>
> Are there any objections for it being added?

Do you have a sample implementation yet?  I would think that there'd
need to be at least one well defined key in the dictionary so that the
kernel would know which subsystem to direct the request the dictionary
once it got it.

I'd like to see more than "copy and paste this" before consenting or
objecting to it being added, although as I said I like the concept.

Cheers,
Simon.