Re: Raidframe again (label queries)

der Mouse writes:
> Is there any part of raidframe that will answer the question "given
> this disk device, is there a raidframe component label on it, and, if
> so, what does it say?".

rf_netbsdkintf.c:raidread_component_label() in the kernel will read
the componet label, but it doesn't attempt to validate anything.
This isn't a userland-visible function though...

> The manpages I've found don't indicate any
> such thing, but I certainly could have missed something.

There's no tool to retrieve that information from a 'random disk
partition' (that I'm aware of)...

> Or should I be asking on tech-userlevel, because it's a userlevel thing
> rather than a kernel thing?  Seems to me it'd be better to have at
> least part of that in-kernel, so as to keep all the component label
> reading code together.

The component label structure is described in:
 /usr/include/dev/raidframe/raidframevar.h
Reading it is currently a matter of reading in the single 512-byte
block from the correct location and parsing it...

Later...

Greg Oster