Re: Disabling disk caches [Re: CVS commit: src/lib/libc/sys, re sync(1)]

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 01:16:55AM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> ad%NetBSD.org@localhost (Andrew Doran) writes:
>
> >(a) Automatically disable the disk write cache the moment a file system is
> >    mounted on the disk, unless that file system is known to handle caching.
>
> This would cripple half of the existing systems.

more than half, almost all of them.
Administrators already have dkctl to tune this, please don't make decisions
for them. I'm perfectly happy with ffs on write-back caches for my
developement systems. Data-critical systems have battery-backed write-back
caches, I would be very upset if theses were turned off automagically by
the OS.