Re: frequent 5.0_RC2 lockups cvs co / upd'ing to RF volume on SunFire v100

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 08:39:17PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > Some interesting tidbits that might be related:
> >     * In at least 2 or 3 of the hangs, RF parity rebuild was likely
> >       running.
>
> Hum, remind me of what I did see on the old ftp.fr.netbsd.org:
> any significant I/O with a SMP kernel while parity rebuild was running
> would cause a hang. Using a UP kernel for parity rebuilds and switching
> back to MP after a clean reboot would make the system work.
> This was on i386 though, and with SCSI disks. I've never been able to
> reproduce it on another system.
> Anyway please make sure you have sys/dev/raidframe/rf_netbsdkintf.c 1.250.4.3
> it may help ...

The box I used to build the last kernel is currently off, but it was a
clean checkout of netbsd-5 as of ~ 200903182200Z, which should have had
Greg's changes.  That was my first thought since the system had been
running a netbsd-5 kernel from mid-January, hence I grabbed the latest
sources and installed a new kernel... the problem still happened.

Note that this is a UP machine (single UltraSPARC-IIe @ 548Mhz).

I guess this is additional incentive to polish off those aceride(4)
changes to keep this machine from spewing all the IDE errors in the
first place... Will have to dig them out of my old -current tree
and polish them off a bit ;)

--rafal

--
  Time is an illusion; lunchtime, doubly so.     |/\/\|           Rafal Boni
                   -- Ford Prefect               |\/\/|