Re: disabling SA in 5.0

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 11:03:12AM -0400, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> Isn't this rather heavy-handed and will prevent people from plopping
> a 5.0 kernel in a 4.0 userland and have things working?

["Sort of working", but that is a different discussion it could be useful
to have some time.]

> I thought it was enough to disable PTHREAD_CONCURRENCY to prevent the
> crashes.

I think that will make the bugs harder to trigger, not fix them.

The SA code has not been proven. It has most of the same bugs it had in 4.0.
I pointed out that it would take a lot of effort to get working right, but
in the rush to tick a box not many seemed to pay attention.

This is not directed at you Christos - you are obviously trying to fix it,
and thankyou for that - but, I note that it it's easy to spend a few minutes
to abuse me over having to change one line in one file. It is far more
difficult to spend days attempting to reproduce and fix bugs because that
takes brains, motivation and self-discipline.

Andrew