Re: proposal for bus_dma(9) change

On Wednesday 04 March 2009 12:49:59 Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> Christoph_Egger%gmx.de@localhost wrote:
> > > - Is there any benefit to change all bus_dma(9) implementation
> > >   instead of all drivers?  I'm afraid the former is more complicated
> > >   because there are many hidden indirect calls via function pointers
> > >   in bus_dma structures/macro among machine/bus dependent
> > > implementation.
> >
> > It shouldn't be hard to change bus_dmamap_create() implementation
> > to return a NULL dmamap pointer in error case.
>
> How can you find all MD bus_dmamap_create() implementation in whole
> MI/MD source tree?

I can't. I can find most, but I suppose I will overlook the one or other
implementation. There I need additional eyes.

> Is it really easy for you than fixing all (but only problematic) drivers
> with grep(1)?

The harder part is going through all the drivers. The change itself
is mechanical. Note, that the change won't fix any other bugs in
the drivers.

> Changing API is really pain than fixing bugs, IMO.

My proposal is not like adding an additional parameter
to somewhere.
My proposal would change the behaviour of one function
in case of error.

Christoph