Re: bad interactive performance when building

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 02:16:07PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > (... bad interactive performance while building ...)
> Some of us have been complaining about this for several years.  That
> said, it got better -- much better for a while, but recently has seemed
> bad again, including on -current.

for me the bottleneck usually was disk access, which improved at some
point with the change of disk scheduling strategy but got worse again
somewhere near 5.0, I agree. Note that none of this is any sound analysis
or observation, just talking about the feel of the system. If I really
wanna feel slow, I create a chunk of few gigabyte data on an msdos
partition. It would actually rock if someone savvy would compare a
"older not exhibiting that" netbsd to a current one and analyze its
cons and pros performance and interactive-performance wise...

-Martin