Re: der Mouse [Re: Path to kmods]

> Is it just me, or have the core people and direction of this "project"
> shifted radically in the last five years?

Possibly, but it's called making a virtue of necessity.  I'm (also) a
Plan 9 user and I see precisely the same symptoms on a much smaller
scale on that side.  Fact is, the i386 rules the roost and there has
been a much more pervasive shift towards accommodating (actually, I
guess it's bedding in with) that reality.

In short, investing in theoretically sound technology tends to be too
expensive unless there is also a return on investment on the i386 end
of things, which basically means that NO investment actually occurs in
any other direction.

I'm sure core will attempt to deny this bias, but it's there, _maybe_
thinly camouflaged.

Don't hold it against core, they have survival in mind.  Instead,
those of us who might perceive the shift to a monoculture to be a
short-term survival strategy must look at means by which diversity can
be sustained, possibly at some (great?) cost.

I guess I ought to go into details, but I must honestly confess that
it is all rather blurry.  By all means help me define it all more
clearly, that is an activity we can all contribute to if we care
enough.

And please redirect follow-ups to the correct mailing list :-)

++L