Re: inline (Was: Bloat)

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:17:23PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:

>       Would there be any sense in letting gcc pick when to inline?
>       Gcc has -finline-functions -finline-limit=N which will
>       inline any function less than N pseudo instructions. Picking
>       a small enough value of N should automatically inline all
>       trivial accessors, and any other function small enough to
>       benefit. (The default is 600 which is probably too high
>       for the kernel).

I've wanted it to inline all function that are smaller than 'n'
AFTER being inlined!

Someone managed to write some a function that does sub-byte level
data access (tortuous). However all the callers supply constants
for the bit-offset and length - so the inlined version should
be trivial - except I had to do -O3 and increase -finline-limit
significantly to get them inlined at all.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost