Re: changing raid level?

>> 'raidctl -s' gets the info from the component labels, which, if you
>> havn't run 'raidctl -I', havn't been updated yet...  The in-core
>> setup is what you want, but the component labels on the disk havn't
>> yet been updated to reflect that...
> Hmm, perhaps I was just confused by raidctl -c's failure to error
> out.  Thanks for the clout with the cluestick; I'll see if -I fixes
> things.

This is weird.

I unconfigured raid1, destroyed the first 10M of each member again, put
the config file back to RAID level 0, and reconfigured it that way (-C,
-I, and -i - the last being fast for level 0).

Then, I unconfigured that, changed the config file back to level 1, did
_not_ destroy the beginning of the disks, and used -c (not -C).  It
succeeded.  So I used -I, and sure enough, raidctl -s now reports it as
level 1.

The weird part: I then used -i, and started watching with raidctl -S.
Based on the ETAs, the -i rebuild is happening about five times as fast
as it was when I did destroy the beginning of the disks (the ETA is
about 7 hours instead of 38).  I'll see what happens to the ETA as it
runs (early estimates are often pretty wrong), but this difference is
so dramatic it's hard to believe it's entirely mis-estimation.

\ / Ribbon Campaign