Re: rwd0a and label sector marked read-only

Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
All partitions (except RAW_PART) are defined in the disklabel,
so it might be problematic to define behavior when
the disklabel is updated via a partition which is being changed.
- why EROFS and not EPERM?

Because it requires a proper procedure (DIOCWLABEL), not privilege?

Well, disklabel(8) mentions for -W option:

"Allow writes to the disk sector that contains the label."

For me "allow/disallow" is more tied to a permission than a read/write state, that's why I am asking. But I am no native speaker :)

Besides, returning EROFS might be misleading for the user, as it informs that the fs is read-only, which is partly correct here (having one sector marked read-only does not necessarily mean that the rest is in the same state).

Thanks for the answers.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jean-yves.migeon%espci.fr@localhost