Re: patches to optionally clear the screen during boot.

David Laight wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 10:10:04PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 04:41:17PM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> >
> > > Currently the x86 boot code clears the screen which seems un-unix like
> > > and unnecessary.
> >
> > In the past there was not much point. Today we have a boot menu and there i
> > information for new users to absorb and act upon, so the screen is cleared.
>
> The problem is that a serial console throws away useful info.
> (Like the soekris bios does when the system resets!)
>
> It is almost more sensible to output a reasonable number of linefeeds.

I've still got the "scroll" keyword patch for boot.cfg I proposed in
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2008/05/21/msg000537.html as a
local change here.  I never committed that as there didn't seem to be
any real interest...

Cheers,
Simon.