Re: virtual kernels, syscall routing, etc.

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 08:32:15PM +0200, Antti Kantee wrote:

> I've made the kernel nfs service (nfsd) run in userspace.
> Now, the first idea is to simply add routing capability to the libc
> syscall stubs.  The fast path would still always trap into the kernel,
> but in other cases system calls could be handled by a process-to-process
> "trap", or in other words IPC.

I don't like the idea of adding another layer of indirection. There is some
cross-over with NetBSD/usermode here. Another possibility is an emulation
type in kernel that redirects system calls to a listening process, but I
haven't given it much thought.

Andrew