Re: porting ZFS

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:21:51AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 05:52:11PM -0400, Neel Sheyal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >       I would like to port ZFS to NetBSD. While I noticed that
> > something along this line was initially started as part of a GSoC
> > project, I have really no idea on what it's status is.
> > Do you folks think this is something the community will be interested in ?
> >
> > Personally I feel ZFS is something that NetBSD should have in it's
> > armor. And may be we can even make it better since we have a modular
> > uvm structure in place.
> >
> > Please let me know and based on the responses I may be able to start
> > off from this week !
>
> Rather than trying to start from the Summer of Code work, which was not
> complete and has been abandoned by its author, if I were you I would get
> in touch with Andrew Doran and ask about his partial port of ZFS from a
> few months ago.  He can probably also offer you some useful advice on how
> to continue it.

Actually, I got Andrew's patches to Oliver Gould, and, as soon as
Oliver's developer's agreement is received, we should be getting some
progress on that one.

This isn't to say that more eyes and hands are not wanted - far from
it, they are to be welcomed and encouraged.  But could I ask that we
keep in sync on any efforts, please?

Thanks,
Alistair