Re: GSoC Subfile Status Update

On Aug 14, 2008, at 4:38 AM, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
Thanks for your status report. It sounds pretty promising!
Thanks. I'm beginning to get pretty panicked with the being stuck on the create file part and the pencils down coming up so soon. But I'm glad it sounds promising at least.

Maybe this was discussed and I've just missed it, but: what's the plan to make this available to userland? Any particular programs that will be needed, at least to create a subfile, which can then be handled via ls, cp, ...? What's the enduser's perspective?

This is something that we, my mentor and I, have only briefly discussed. We knew that the full implementation of this was something that could not be completed in the SoC timeframe so I was concentrating on the sys_calls and anything else was icing on the cake. What we briefly discussed was going though each tool to make them "subfile aware". This would obviously take a long time. But again, this is not something that we discussed or thought about in any detail yet. I am certainly open to suggestions.