Re: revivesa status 2008/07/09

On Friday, 25 Jul 2008 12:38:29
Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> But it is. We've supported extreme amounts of backwards
> compatability. We have options to turn on system call
> compatability going back to NetBSD 0.9. I've never NetBSD pre-1.2
> (I think. It was late 1995).

> Also, I think it'd be kinda exciting for us to be one of the few
> OSs able to support both threadings. :-)

I've been following this thread closely since the beginning;  I
cannot prove the performance merits of SA myself although have also
followed the SA trend since NetBSD introduced it.  NetBSD being a
research OS, I find that it is great that it served as an experimental
SA platform (considering that the code was also stable enough for
production use).

What would seem like the logical followup would be having both new
1:1 and SA threads in a release, which appears to have academic
potential. It even would be nice if other N:M implementations than SA
could be experimented with, yet this is out of the current scope.

Supporting both threading models would allow benchmarks for multiple
architectures and applications to be more common, improvements to the
SA code might also result, IMO.  Since the code appears ready, and
would not be enabled by default anyway, is it that bad to include it
for one release cycle?
--
Matthew Mondor