Re: inode open

Hi Bill,

Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:51:02PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> > Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:
> >
> > > A cleaner way to do this is, back whe you know the path, do a getfh() on
> > > the path and get the file handle. Then fhopen() works for you. And if
> > > you're a backup daemon, chances are you're running as root already.
> >
> > Just to get picky on the last sentence, I do my dump(8) backups as group
> > operator, not as root.  :)
>
> Hmmm.... I'm not sure if that's more secure or not. The process's not
> running as root, but "operator" has to be given fairly inimate access for
> dump to work.

Note that group read for operator is the default for MAKEDEV on disk
devices and has been just about forever, well pre-dating NetBSD's
existance.  dump(8) does all it's work through the raw device instead
of the filesystem (unless you ask it to dump a subtree and then it
uses fts(3) to build the inode list).

Cheers,
Simon.