Re: wstablet API proposal

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Jason Beaudoin wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Iain Hibbert
> <plunky%rya-online.net@localhost> wrote:
> > Is there any other place that it is used by userland that would cause
> > incompatibilities than ioctl(WSMUXIO_INJECTEVENT)?
>
> There are quite a few places. Running a grep for (just) wscons_event:
>
> src/usr.sbin/wsmoused/action.c

Ah yes, my bad - I've only ever looked at this from the input side. I did
not think through to what happens to the wscons_events at the other end.

there may be a way to handle that though, in FreeBSD/sysmouse they
versioned the structure that would be read, by providing an ioctl that can
be called to switch to 'version X' structure, such that if it is not set
it defaults to version 0 (the current).

> There are also a number of x11 input packages in pkgsrc - a few of
> these are bound to have wscons_event in them. Fortunately, a lot of
> the instances I'm seeing  are either a sizeof() line or a declaration
> for a wscons_event struct, and these should be fixed by a rebuild.

but we do like to support running old binaries on newer kernels..

iain