Re: Differences between NetBSD 3.0 and 4.0 with regard to the filesystem

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

I have a file system that is maintained outside the NetBSD repository. It
works fine on NetBSD 3.0, but when the same code is used on NetBSD 4.0 the
kernel will panic regularly due to uvm faults at random places.

I don't have time to rewrite this piece of software and I need to know what
has changed between the 3.0 and 4.0 release of NetBSD with regard to the file
system.

Aditionally: Where is the file system locking document ?

        If you're not having any luck tracking this down otherwise you
        could always try cvs updating the tree to midway between NetBSD
        3.0 and 4.0 and testing a kernel from there with a NetBSD 3.0
        userland, and based on the results then try midway between that
        and NetBSD 3 or 4. A few iterations should hopefully allow you to
        narrow in on the specific change that affects you. Of course each
        pass may take some manual merging of your filesystems code :/

        Presumably this is purely a kernel isue - does a NetBSD 3.0
        userland on a NetBSD 4.0 kernel still panic for you?