Re: Time to deprecate crash dump support in stats tools (or KVM-grovelers in general)?

On Apr 6, 2008, at 8:04 PM, der Mouse wrote:

How is it any better to have the code to winkle that stuff out of a
crash dump take the form of gdb scripts rather than the form of kmem
grovelers?  I must be missing something; I don't see how moving from a
stable, well-known, and thoroughly-supported language like C to a
comparatively unknown, under-specified, moving-target language like gdb
scripting is a win.

The gdb scripts are, by their nature, tied to the kernel, which is appropriate for crash dump introspection. Random user binaries for looking at network protocol statistics should not be.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
X  Against HTML        mouse%rodents.montreal.qc.ca@localhost

-- thorpej