Re: mjf-devfs2 branch

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:29:46PM +0100, Andrew Doran wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 04:35:31PM +0000, Matt Fleming wrote:
>
> > int device_register_name(dev_t, device_t, boolean_t, enum devtype,
> >     const char *, ...);
> >
> > 'devtype' specifies the type of device which will be used for matching
> > rules.
> > See sys/sys/conf.h for details.
>
> [...]
>
> > Further Work:
> >     - Once device drivers are all converted, move to dynamic major
> >       numbers
>
> It seems like a lot of this naturally belongs in the device switch and that
> the same call should register the device methods. Are you proposing to keep
> the existing major numbers? That makes sense in the short term but longer
> term I think we'd be making a mistake by doing that.

For now, the idea's to stick with current numbers. Adding a device switch
table as part of the request for a new major number, however, makes sense.

From the point of view of the devfs code, major numbers are just things
that are there. The code will work w/ static majors or with dynamic
majors. I think we'll need this code (devfs) to really make dynamic majors
work, but they are otherwise unrelated.

Take care,

Bill