Re: Making a common event daemon to replace powerd(8)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:57:07 +0100
Juan RP <xtraeme%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'd like to replace powerd(8) with something that can handle
> events from different subsystems, like power management,
> environmental system drivers, etc. Because as thorpej@ mentioned
> a while ago, the name doesn't match the reality anymore.
>
> Also I'd want to enable it by default (via /etc/defaults/rc.conf)
> and use the kernel provided code as last resort.
>
> The new kernel framework should handle any type of event from
> different subsystems and between drivers, so that we can merge
> the current sysmon_power with the event injection code in pmf(9).
>
> What do people think? which name for the userland daemon would be
> appropiate?
>
> I'll work on it ASAP.

Hello,

Should it also handle "hotplug" events? It might be useful to peek at
the prior art in the area even if only to avoid making the same mistakes
they did. In the grander scheme of things, we should also investigate if
third-party software like FDO's HAL can make use of the new API.
I'm also pondering if this new daemon can/should replace ifwatchd.

Cheers,
-Tobias