documenting loadable kernel modules

I am writing one- to three- line descriptions for all kernel modules. I
see at least 75. I have some questons about this:

1) How to select what modules are built?

FreeBSD builds all kernel modules even for features also available in
kernel. It offers make variables MODULES_OVERRIDE (to select modules by
module directory to build) and WITHOUT_MODULES (to list modules to
exclude).

Anything like that for NetBSD?

I think all modules are built unless they are limited by architecture or
are examples or a few other make variables.

Some NetBSDs have around 35 out of available 75 kernel modules. (I know
several aren't built at all.) It looks like most of these are architecture
specific.

2) And what is purpose of building modules when support is already
provided? (A few examples follow.)

Why mfs.o when mount_mfs works fine?

Why is wi_pcmcia.o built (at least on i386)?

Why powernow.o on i386?

(My only answers are: to verify the module build works and to provide a
module just in case using custom kernel.)

3) What platforms don't support LKM? I see some ports have LKM option and
some don't. But even some that don't still have lkm device. I think only
evbppc doesn't support LKMs.

4) Why no pci or pcmcia LKMs on amd64?

5) Any comment about secmodel_bsd44 LKM? I know it is not built at this
time.

6) Does the dummy_pci have any purpose? Or why is it installed when other
examples aren't built?

7) I see MKPF, MKIPFILTER, and MKPUFFS. Where are these documented that
these define if modules are built or not?

  Jeremy C. Reed