re: DRM and VIA Chipset

   Well... I'm not sure DRM is the solution to my problem.
   That box is supposed to play my ripped DVD (cartoons for my daughter in
   fact) from a NFS share onto my CRT TV. The thing is I'm trying to get
   the best results and so DRM/DRI might help make use of the video
   card rather than the (poor) 1GHz VIA C3. It has modular-xorg, freevo and
   mplayer installed.

you want "mplayer -vo xv" to work.  in the past i've also
had "mplayer -vo sdl:xv" work when plain "xv" does not.

DRI/DRM is not useful for playing movie files.

.mrg.