Re: Replace lockmgr for vnodes

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 03:06:08PM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
 > > No, they don't. In the long run I'm intending to fix at least the
 > > vnode locks, because IMO they should be interruptible, but that'll
 > > likely be a slow process.
 >
 > i believe vnode locks should not be interruptible.

ok then...

My reasoning is that all sleeps should be interruptible where
reasonably possible, because it increases the chance of being able to
recover in a semi-controlled fashion from a big deadlock or other
similar situation. This is particularly true of locks that might be
held during I/Os that might go off and never come back, and also
particularly true of locks that are manipulated by bodgy code that has
a record of causing trouble. Both these cases apply to vnode locks.
Meanwhile, the worst case for recovery is rename, and I've just been
over that code and I don't anticipate serious problems.

Your turn :-)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost