Subject: Re: Options MEMORY_DISK_SERVER
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/30/2007 13:05:36
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de> writes:
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 12:40:30PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>> My opinion is that we need longer term solutions to the problem of
>> install media size, and that we should not be sweating over a few
>> hundred bytes.
>
> I am asking if it creates a problem for the install floppies, because I
> want to remove the option.

If everything still builds fine after removing it, then you have no
issue. :)

> It is just another mostly useless switch and it makes it harder to
> drop having separate INSTALL kernels.

Well, the big problem there is the statically allocated md image in
the INSTALL kernels -- you really don't want to waste the space for
those in a normal GENERIC kernel. Because of that, it is difficult to
get rid of INSTALL entirely. I'm not sure how to manage that.

That said, I don't see why (at this point) i386 INSTALL isn't just a
few lines for the md(4) stuff and an include of GENERIC. It is already
that way on the amd64 port.

The biggest issue is the different devices the different INSTALL
kernels have for older hardware with less memory -- that could be
easily accommodated with include and the "no" config keyword, though.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com