Subject: Re: Is O_DIRECT useless on NetBSD?
To: Antti Kantee , Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/17/2007 19:48:21
On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 05:51:14PM +0200, Antti Kantee wrote:

> > >Or posix_fadvise?
> >
> > Nice idea, but ...
> >
> > BUGS
> >      POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED, POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED, and POSIX_FADV_NOREUSE
> >      are not implemented.
>
> This quick patch/hack will add support for POSIX_FADV_NOREUSE.  But I/O
> will be quite slow if you use small sizes.

this implementation looks pretty good.  but I wonder if we should try to
handle seqential-but-non-mapping-window-aligned access better, by leaving
the partially-accessed page in the cache until we're done with it?  if we
don't do that, it would be better to do the invalidations on page
boundaries instead of mapping-window boundaries if that's convenient.

-Chuck