Subject: Re: Renovating autoconf(9)
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/10/2007 20:11:28
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Quentin Garnier wrote:

> If you have more specific needs or rants about our currnet autoconf(9)
> that I would not be aware of, this is your chance to see them
> addressed.

Something that I know nothing about but think 'might be a nice idea' is to
have each device attach function called in its own thread or lwp, so that
firstly the defer function is not needed and secondly autoconf can proceed
in parallel. If a device can't proceed until a disk is mounted so that
firmware can be loaded then hey, just wait until then.

another thing that I would like to see a discussion of is the use of
CFATTACH_DECL()/CFATTACH_DECL2()/CFATTACH_DECL2_NEW() (etc) macros vs just
declaring the structure and using the ".ca_attach = xxx_attach"
initialisers in plain sight.

regards,
iain