Subject: Re: -current, mmaps, and clisp
To: David Howland <dhowland@users.sourceforge.net>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/27/2007 18:37:02
dhowland@users.sourceforge.net said:
> > There is two workaround possible. Rebuild libc using USE_JEMALLOC=NO
> > or
> > use the good configure flag for clisp ( --with-gmalloc ). The clisp
> > package has been updated to use this flag

As I said in the commit message, there are different allocators
(on top of malloc etc) available in clisp. The simple one, currently
used in the NetBSD case, needs a contigous chunk of unmapped VM space.
The heuristics to find that fail with jmalloc, and I can't imagine
a clean way to fix these heuristics. Another allocator can deal with
scattered memory. Didn't look at the details because that code
is anything but clean, but it might be the technically correct
fix to switch to that one.
So if someone has time and energy...

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt