Subject: Re: killing the "l" argument from vfs
To: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/26/2007 13:42:16
On Sun Nov 25 2007 at 18:34:19 +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> I can only guess that the whole 'curproc as an argument' thing was some
> aincent tip of the hat to multi CPU support. I really don't know. We should
> work towards getting rid of it in most places because it's confusing, people
> end up coding for situations that don't occur, and it leads to bugs.

I completely agree with getting rid of it in as many places as possible.
It's passed religeously everywhere, unless someone happened to be bored
and passed NULL, which seems to lead into thinking that the called
operations should be executed with kernel credentials.

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>                     Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/                          http://www.NetBSD.org/