Subject: Re: ISA direct config of ACPI devices
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/22/2007 21:16:19
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 07:19:06PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> > You left out:
> >
> >   d) change "com0 at isa?" to "com* at isa?", ensure that there is no
> >      "com0 at anything", and leave "com* at acpi?"  unchanged.
>
> This has the drawback that if you have PCI com devices, they'll get
> attached starting at com0, and what you're as the on-board serial
> devices won't be at com0/com1 anymore.

Oh well.  It works for me.  If people want to hard-code device numbers
instead of relying on the vagaries of the auto-configuration order, I
think that they should build custom kernels (or edit a hypothetical
config file to be parsed at boot time).  I suspect that this is not a
widely-held opinion with respect to tty or printer ports, though it may
be a widely-held opinion with respect to disk devices.

--apb (Alan Barrett)