Subject: RE: CFLAGS
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Martin Fouts <mfouts@danger.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/12/2007 08:30:32
=20

I cannot argue the general case, but I live in the special case where
having two files is very useful.

In the embedded world, we cross compile, load kernel images onto devices
using relatively slow interfaces, are space constrained, have to update
huge numbers of devices over the air when we ship an upgrade and are big
fans of remote debugging.

For us the two file model is nearly perfect for the work flow.  Perfect
would be to change tools so that they only uploaded the executable bits,
but we often work with tools provided by silicon vendors and don't have
the luxury of being able to change them.