Subject: Re: Pseudo audio device
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/10/2007 23:55:57
	Hello.  I'd love to see this.  I can think of times when when I could
have used pcm audio data directly somewhere, but wanted to use the audio
subsystem to get it.  It would be especially cool if you make it so that
multiple pseudo audio devices can be attached.  Then you could do audio
mixing through a hardware sound card by piping multiple data streams back
to an open pipe to a hardware sound device.  (Probably trashes OS
performance with all that copying in and out of the kernel, but we still
don't have multiple voice support on most sound hardware, and the
kent-audio project appears to be dead.)  This driver might obviate much of
the need for that work.
-Brian